Angry Birds is a video game franchise created by Finnish computer game developer Rovio Entertainment. Inspired by Crush the Castle, the first game in the series was initially released in December 2009 for Apple iOS. The company then released ports of the game for other touchscreen smartphone operating systems, including Android, Symbian and Windows Phone.
GAMEPLAY & FEATURES
- Player is in control of flock of birds that are of various colours and are trying to get their eggs from green hungry pigs which stole them
- Every stage exhibits different forms of shelters taken by the pigs which include stones, glass, wood, etc. It more or less resemble like building blocks that children play with.
- The purpose of the game is to remove all the pigs on every level.
- The players use slingshot and launch the given set of birds towards the structure so as to strike pigs or the structure, which causes the blocks to fall and crush the pigs.
- As the level enhances, inclusion of additional objects in the structures is seen like rocks, TNT crates, etc.
- In order to reach the hard-to-reach pigs, players can avail power-ups to enhance their birds.
WHAT CRITICS SAY?
Reviews for Angry Birds have been mostly positive.
- The game has been termed as “an addictive, clever, and challenging puzzler” by Chris Holt of Macworld
- In another reviews by Keith Andrew from Pocket Gamer, he called it “a nugget of puzzling purity dished out with relish aplenty”.
- Wired News’ Jonathan Liu wrote – “going for the maximum number of stars certainly adds a lot of replay value to a fairly extensive game”
- In February 2010, Angry Birds earned a top selling position under paid apps on Apple’s UK App Store. Until October 2010, it remained at the top place on US App store.
- As of September 2010, the free & limited edition of the game has been downloaded at record breaking number of 11+ million; the paid edition at least 7 million times on iOS while on android, it was downloaded 1 million times within 24 hours of its release.
- The advertisements featuring in the free version on Android earns Rovio approx. US $1 million per month.